Delays

There has been another delay because of the insulation.  They had to build boxes around the many recessed lights before they could do the spray type.  We are now looking at mid August for completion. I hope that we do get to at least enjoy a couple summer BBQ’s in our completed house before the year is over.

I had not been in the house since before Christmas and was surprised on Tuesday when we walked through.  The outside has most the stone and wood siding on.  After that is done the metal will be added.  Inside the walls are insulated and some drywall is even up.  This means that I can see how the light and the size of the rooms will be.  Although the rooms without the drywall are a bid darker because the light does not reflect off the insulation.  Our little sitting room is very bright and will be where I think Steve and I will spend a lot of time.

In the next seven months we will be packing up our house and selling it and moving into our new home.  We are hoping our house sells fast but now that the completion date is moved out we may have to reconsider when we put it on the market.  We may end up in a temporary house between.  With a cat and 2 kids this could be tricky.  Of course there are a few places that offer furnished places short term but they are price and we would like to spend as little as possible on that.  We will need some new furniture and would be great to be able to put more down when we go from a COC loan to a mortgage.

Our drainage issue with the neighbour is being worked on.  We believe we have should have no trouble getting the county on board to put the overflow from the pond back to the way it was.  It will cost us a good chunk but we may be able to recoup some or all of the cost from the county as we did submit options that would of avoided this and our reps told them their plan would not work.  There was also the fact that it took 7 months and a meeting with a supervisor to get our drainage plan hashed out and final permit approval.  We were supposed to break ground in November and it was in March.  During this time the cost of materials went up and increased our budget.  So very frustrating.

Building this house has required patience which is something I am often short on.  Steve and I have worked together and been a team and it has been mostly fun.

Where we are now

So the siding is now going up and the insulation is going in.  We have not be able to go in the house for a few weeks.  They are doing some spray insulation and the fumes need time to dissipate. It is taking a bit longer than expected because they can not spray around the light cans per the manufacture even though it says different on packaging.  There is a concern that it could overheat and cause a fire.  This would be very unlikely with the led lights we will be using because they do not generate that much heat..   The wood and stone siding have started on the outside and the roof is being put on.  This is making it easier to imagine what the finished house will look like.

Also because it wouldn’t be fun if everything went smooth we now have drainage problems.  The drainage system the county said we had to put in is not working.  This is not a surprise to the builder or architect both of whom told the county that this would happen when the submitted our plans with 2 different options.  The neighbours beside us who have been very nice now have a flooded area in their yard because of the drainage system failure.  We are unable to do anything without the county approval.  The first chat with the county we were told that we put the required system in and that was it.  We think since then the neighbours have complained to the county so now they are meeting with our builder and architect on our site to see what is happening and find a solution.  I am glad we will be able to fix it but not happy that we spent money on the required system and will now have to pay for another system that will likely be one of the ones we proposed in our permit application.  I am assuming that the county will not be refunding us even though the concerns were brought up.

We have now selected flooring, kitchen cabinets, and kitchen counter tops.  We are working on the backsplash.  We are also closing in on the wall colours.  I gave Dave all the samples that I liked and he is working from there.  Steve and I both agreed on the flooring right away which was the first thing we picked it is hickory.  The cabinets are a dark stain and the counters are a very light gray.

The last move in date we got was for mid July I am hoping that is still the case even though the insulation is taking a bit longer than expected.  If it does work out we will be starting the BBQ’s in August.

We are getting our current house ready to go on the market by getting rid of stuff we don’t need/want.  The kids have been great they have given away over 5 boxes of toys from their playroom.  We have the donation truck coming on the 27th so I should be able to get a lot of other stuff together by then.  I am hoping once we have it on the market it sells fast so I don’t have to worry about the kids messing up everything for the showings.  Of course that would also mean we would end up somewhere for a short time before we move into the new house.  I think we may end up somewhere else for a bit while they paint and replace carpet because it would be to smelly.  Not sure what we will do with the cat during that time.

One day I will try and get Steve to add some photos so you can see all the stuff I am rambling about.